Current Role Working With The Athletic Population
I currently serve as the Director of Medical Performance & Sports Science at Empower Medical Performance. We work with a wide variety of athletes, particularly in the sports of golf, baseball, softball, dance & performing arts, combat sports, and hockey. During my career I have had the privilege of working with athletes at all levels, to include working with our military within a human performance program for special operators.
- I believe in treatment and programming that is tailored to the needs of the individual athlete.
- I believe in utilizing an 'evidence-informed' practice, where we stay up on the most current research, we use the best of what works whenever possible, but at the same time we don't let the idea of EBP prevent us from using what works in the clinic but may not have a great literature base -- that is, after all, where the creative & art portion of our profession comes into play as we have to problems solve on the fly!
- I utilize an integrated approach to treatment that is based on the combination of medical screening, traditional orthopedic examination, & movement screening blended with the needs of the athlete as it relates to their sport or activity.
- Treatment is focused on making change quickly, and making the greatest change in the least amount of time. Modalities used include: Manual Therapy (STM / IASTM / joint mobs / joint manip), Dry Needling, Corrective Exercise, Traditional Strength & Conditioning, Balance & Proprioception work, Blood Flow Restriction Training, Biofeedback & Neurofeedback, and as much education as the client can handle.
- My ultimate goal is to blend High Tech with High Touch: where we can use technology to monitor and assist our treatment and training decisions, but also provide quality, personalized treatment & training as more of a coach than a therapist.
I grew up playing baseball starting at age 5, and did so through high school. Also played football and some wrestling in high school, as well as recreational soccer, tennis, and roller hockey. I have always worked out (though there have been some periods of time that were less committed than others!) After starting to work with USA Judo and our Olympic Judo teams I became enamored with Brazilian jiu-jitsu and started training. I have also run recreationally with a current goal of completing and half & full marathon.
Academic Background and Professional Training
- Fellowship, Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy - Daemen College, Amherst, NY 2008
Professional Training / Certification:
- Board Certifed Sports Clinical Specialist (SCS)
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
- NATA Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC)
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Level 1 Medical
- Functional Range Conditioning Certified (FRC)
- BioForce Certified Conditioning Coach
- Dry Needling Certified
- SmartTools – Blood Flow Restriction Training Certified (BFR)
- Rocktape Certified - Fascial Movement Taping (FMT)
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS) Certified
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA) Certified